About an hour ago, I became an Obama supporter. And so should you.
Why, you ask?
Because like it or not, Barack Obama is the next President of the United States of America. As an American citizen, I support the president of my country. It is my duty! I may not always agree with him or his policies but I will stand up for him in the name of unity and solidarity. If we remain divided...we will never get anything done and we will continue to spiral downward.
I must admit, I'm a bit leery about what the next 4 years will bring. There are some things that I do not like about Obama and what exactly he wants to include in his "change". But I do think that Barack Obama is a charismatic leader who may surprise us into being proud of him. He wasn't my pick, but I am going to give him the chance that I feel he has earned.
I wish I didn't have to qualify my comments. I don't know what is going to happen. NO one does. I don't know how supportive or unified I will feel if he decides to push an agenda that I feel encroaches on my rights or attacks my beliefs. Campaign promises and platforms don't always play out how you think they will. For now, congratulations Mr. President-Elect. You fought hard and you fought smart. And good luck with the new puppy.
I have read enough political commentary on the blogs of friends and family to know what may happen in my comments. If you can't say something nice, DON'T say anything at all.
Why, you ask?
Because like it or not, Barack Obama is the next President of the United States of America. As an American citizen, I support the president of my country. It is my duty! I may not always agree with him or his policies but I will stand up for him in the name of unity and solidarity. If we remain divided...we will never get anything done and we will continue to spiral downward.
I must admit, I'm a bit leery about what the next 4 years will bring. There are some things that I do not like about Obama and what exactly he wants to include in his "change". But I do think that Barack Obama is a charismatic leader who may surprise us into being proud of him. He wasn't my pick, but I am going to give him the chance that I feel he has earned.
I wish I didn't have to qualify my comments. I don't know what is going to happen. NO one does. I don't know how supportive or unified I will feel if he decides to push an agenda that I feel encroaches on my rights or attacks my beliefs. Campaign promises and platforms don't always play out how you think they will. For now, congratulations Mr. President-Elect. You fought hard and you fought smart. And good luck with the new puppy.
I have read enough political commentary on the blogs of friends and family to know what may happen in my comments. If you can't say something nice, DON'T say anything at all.


9 comments:
I think you post was very wise. It is our duty to sustain our leaders even if we don't exactly see the same way they do. There is nothing that whining or "I told you so's" will do except divid our great country. Thank you for your wisdom and I will try to pass it along when I hear any Na-sayers.
HEIDI you are amazing! Thanks so much for posting something positive.
Wonderful post, Heidi.
I echo your sentiments exactly. The president was chosen through a democratic process and should be supported as our new leader, whether we voted for him or not.
Now, hopefully, some of the people who were complaining so loudly will quiet down a little.
Love him or not, I have to agree with you Heidi. Obama is our next president, and he deserves the support of the country he has been elected to lead. That's why we are the UNITED States of America. No candidate ever receives 100% of the vote, no matter how the election turns out.
Nice to hear from ya :)
I am not sure if I have the stomach to say I support him (yet); at this point it's all I can do to say I acknowledge him. Our stake pres offered some wonderful council last Saturday... which is that regardless of who wins, we need to pray for him. So, that's what we'll be doing here in our house!
I agree with you 100%!
Well stated Heidi :)
I completely agree with you Heidi dear....although it's like pulling teeth for me to admit it. Just kidding...I've always been of the opinion as well that you need to support your country's president as the president he is, for the sake of unity(unless his name is Fidel Castro or something along those lines, if you get my drift!). He wasn't my choice either...and part of me is still terribly afraid of the next four years...but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised! And of course we still don't have to agree with all of his policies...I just hope no one on the Supreme Court dies in the next 4 years...And it's your birthday tomorrow! So happy birthday tomorrow lady! Since you won't be at work...I don't know why you wouldn't want to spend your birthday at work...that's like the coolest place to be, duh. And this comment is really long so I'll stop now. Ok, bubye.
Good for you girl! I wasn't crazy about Obama either but after he won the election and I listened to him speak I had a change of heart. I think he did an amazing job at reaching a group of Americans that would normally have ignored the election. He has gotten the attention and support of a younger audience and I think that has a lot of potential to improve our future. I will support our leader.
Post a Comment