3.18.2008

Homemade Bagels


Last month I decided to attempt making bagels. It was fun and I enjoyed taking much longer than the recipe indicated to make them. Most of them were even tasty!
Recipe complements of Emeril Lagasse. A personal friend. I even have his cookbook.


Homemade Bagels

2 cups warm water, about 110 degrees F
2 (1/4-ounce) packets active dry yeast
3 tablespoons granulated sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons yellow cornmeal

Optional Toppings: 1/2 cup lightly toasted chopped onions (2 teaspoons each)
2 tablespoons poppy seeds (about 1/2 teaspoon each)
2 tablespoons sesame seeds (about 1/2 teaspoon each)
1 tablespoon kosher salt (about 1/4 teaspoon each)

Combine the water, yeast, and 3 tablespoons of the sugar in the bowl of an upright mixer fitted with a dough hook. Stir and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Gradually add 4 cups of the flour and the salt, and mix until the mixture comes together.

Add 1 to 1 1/2 cups additional flour 1/2 cup at a time to make a stiff dough, either stirring with the wooden spoon or working with your hands. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and no longer sticky, about 5 minutes, adding just as much flour as needed. (Dough should be heavier and stiffer than regular yeast bread dough.)

Grease a large bowl with 1 teaspoon of the oil. Place the dough in the bowl, turning to coat. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free spot until almost doubled, about 1 hour.

Remove from the bowl and punch down the dough. Divide into 12 equal pieces, about 2 to 3 ounces each, measuring about 4 inches across. Form each piece of dough into a ball. Roll each ball into a 4 to 6-inch log. Join the ends and place fingers through the hole and roll the ends together. Repeat with the remaining dough. Place on a lightly greased surface, cover with a clean cloth, and let rest until risen but not doubled in a draft-free spot, 20 to 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet with the remaining teaspoon of oil.

In a large, heavy pot, bring 12 cups of water and the remaining tablespoon of sugar to a boil. In batches, add the bagels to the water and boil, turning, for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Flip bagels onto the prepared sheet pan. Bake for 5 minutes, turn over and cook for another 30 to 35 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack.



The bagels that turned out the best were 1. cinnamon and sugar and 2. sprinkled with kosher salt. Plain and onion did not turn out for me. Twice. We'll be eating cinna-gar and salt bagels in this family.

Even though it is the only recipe I have tried as of yet, it's not my favorite. BUT, the recipe did produce bagels and it was a fun experience. And they sure looked good while rising! When I find the best and most fool-proof recipe ever, I will definitely share it.

Next, I'm looking forward to making this:

6 comments:

Aimee said...

Joel would be over at your house all the time - good thing you live in Utah! He LOVES bagels. I'll have to try to make some too. But that will require a stand mixer. I don't think my hand held one could handle the job.

And, hey, do you and hubby have plans to come to AZ this summer? Like around the middle of May??

Matt & Staci said...

Yummy! They look good & they aren't even baked yet! You are amazing to make your own bagels!

And Congratulations on your new niece!

Jessie said...

OOO! Bagels! I will have to give them a try. I am doing my best to be more domestic. We will see how that goes. Hope your weather is starting to get better like ours is. We want spring!

sara said...

VERY impressive! I haven't tried bagels; looks like you did a great job!! Make sure you take a picture when you make those yummy chocolate tarts!!

Becca said...

Mmmmm... sometimes I think bagels are those things that aren't ever MADE, they're only BOUGHT. :) What a great idea. Maybe I'll make some today...

Breena said...

I can't wait till you come to visit and maybe you will enchant us with your crafty-ness in the kitchen!