Holly is due with her first baby any day now! Maybe even any moment. It's been a rough pregnancy, health-wise. But if you know Holly, the only clue you had to how awful she was really feeling was the fact she couldn't get off the couch. She smiled throughout the weeks of incapacitating illness and her regular answer to "how are you feeling?" was usually "like a peach". (Yeah...I still don't know that that means).Hi, cute Sister.
The night before the 20 week ultrasound, I borrowed a fun idea from Cathi, and baked a half blue, half pink cake to test out an old wives' tale.
I had loftier goals for a delicious, from-scratch cake, but school work often dashes the best intentions. So, about 8pm or so, I threw a box cake mix together, separated it into 2 bowls, mixed in some food coloring, and then Ty and I poured the two colors at the same time to achieve the desired effect.
Could this be the first clue? It looks like the pink is seriously dominating the blue. Hmmm...
And yet, looks can be deceiving... (Please ignore the hastily applied frosting, K, thanks).
According to those old wives', Daddy-to-be spins the cake, Mommy-to-be chooses where to slice. The color of the slice indicates boy or girl. Simple enough, right?
Even though we had discussed the procedure before, at the critical moment I called out the wrong instructions. Holly knew her part, despite my unintentional blooper, and did not cut the cake. Stephen, recognizing the mistake, spun the cake again and when Holly sliced into that gender-deciding cake, we got a definitive answer.
BOY!
This is the day Holly found out she had her own personal papparazzo. I took as many pictures as I could as often as I could. Muwahahahaha.
Stephen informed us he was making the "arrow".
Cake or no cake, we still felt this baby was a girl. We decided that the first spin would surely have resulted in a pink slice, and the second spin must be predicting their second born...a boy! So Cathi, don't use this example. We messed it up. But if they DO have a boy next, we'll breathe a sigh of relief that the Cake is indeed always right.
And the ultrasound said......it is indeed a girl! Yay!!!
March 4th
Obedient Holly not lifting, but dragging 20 lbs of potatoes across the kitchen floor to the pantry - while I took pictures. :)
March 8th
So here I am, only a few days before the official due date, waiting ever so impatiently for the call announcing Baby's birth! I am so sad I can't be there (we're working out of state this summer and my job does not allow me the leeway to jet off to Utah). It has been delightful being with Holly during this first pregnancy and I am so very excited to hold my new niece at the end of the summer!
Come out, Baby! We can't wait to see you!


1 comment:
Oh this is just adorable! I hadn't heard much at all about Holly's pregnancy and I just love these pictures! Too bad she was SO sick though :( But I wish I had taken progressive photos of my stomach when I was pregnant; such a cute series.
Post a Comment